I think the most generous gift I received this year has to be the Nespresso Gran Lattissima machine!
I wanted to bring you guys a recipe that really brings out the flavors of the limited edition Italian festivities capsules without overpowering their delicate aroma. One of my all-time favorites has got to be the Espresso Affogato. An Italian cup of coffee-meets-dessert that is simply perfect to have after your Christmas dinner. Of course I had to add a Christmas twist somewhere and I promise you that once you try my Christmas edition Affogato, you will not want to got back to the classic version again. Okay, maybe I got a little carried away there.. Hahahahaha
Today, we are infusing some sweetened condensed milk with all the warm aromatics of Christmas and then pouring it over our Affogato. Prepare for awesomeness.
You will need:
- 200g of sweetened condensed milk (half a can)
- 1 to 2 stars of star anise
- 1 to 2 sticks of cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 of your favorite Nespresso capsules (to serve 2 people)
- 2 scoops of high quality vanilla ice-cream
- Cinnamon or nutmeg for garnish (optional)
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk in a small saucepan and add the cinnamon stick, star anise, nutmeg and vanilla extract.
- Stir over medium heat until you start to see a steady bubbling. Don’t bring it to an aggressive boil! At this stage it is normal to start seeing some brown bits floating in your milk. These are caramelized milk solids that you will continue to scrape off the bottom of your saucepan.
- Once things smell and look good, take the milk off the heat and pour into a small jug with a spout for easy pouring on your Affogato in a minute.
- Prepare your Espresso shots in your desired cups using your Nespresso machine and add a scoop of vanilla ice-cream over each shot.
- Pour the warm, Christmas-flavored sweetened condensed milk over the top and grate some extra nutmeg to finish off (optional).
- Merry Christmas!
Don’t forget to check out my Instagram reel for a fun step-by-step video of this recipe.