In Japan, nothing says summer like Hiyashi Chuka Ramen. This cold noodle salad is actually a cross-bred dish between Chinese and Japanese cuisine and it will definitely keep you cool and light during the hot summer days.
Here’s the recipe;
Ingredients (serves 2):
- For the noodle salad:
- 1 pack instant noodles
- 1 cucumber
- 1 tomato
- 2 eggs
- 1 poached chicken breast
- 2 slices of ham, bacon or smoked turkey
- 1 bunch of bean sprouts
- 2 Shiitake mushrooms (pre-soaked in a cup of water overnight)
- For the dressing:
- 50 ml of cold water
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 Tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- chopped spring onion leaves for garnish
- Mix all the ingredients for the dressing together in a small bowl and set aside to chill in the fridge.
- Boil the instant noodles for 2-3 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold running water, then add a few drops of sesame oil and coat the noodles to avoid having them stick together.
- Add the Shiitake mushrooms along with the soaking liquid to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Gently simmer the mushrooms with a few drops of soy sauce and a pinch of sugar until the liquid it almost completely evaporated. When cooled, cut off the stems and slice the caps thinly.
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl and drop them onto a heated and lightly oiled skillet to form a flat, paper-thin egg sheet. Cook over very low heat on both sides until set. Slice the sheet into very thin threads.
- Lightly sear the bean sprouts. Cut the tomato, cucumber and ham into thin slices and also tear the poached chicken breast into long flakes.
- Serve the noodles in the center of a large shallow dish and arrange the colorful toppings (separately) in a circle around them. Garnish with some chopped spring onions and dress with the chilled sauce. Enjoy!
This recipe is very healthy and very nutritious. You can have freshly squeezed summer-fruit juice to go with it or even a glass of green iced tea to cut down on some extra calories.